Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Discuss the book with your peers. Do you have a question? An answer? An observation? Share it!

42 comments:

  1. Why do the children call their father Atticus? I bet Aunt Alexandra does not approve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The children call their father Atticus because Atticus wants them to feel equal.

      Delete
  2. The children call their father Atticus because he allows them to as a sign of respect. Atticus views his children, as well as other people, as equals regardless of age, class, or color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you classify the relationship between Atticus and his children as "normal"?

      Delete
  3. Not in the least. In most families the adults are "dictators" and the children are not actually regarded as equals, due to the need for structure and obedience in the household.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Naw, Jem, there's just one kind of folks. Folks." Said by Scout at the end of chapter 23. Significant? I think yes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, the purity, innocence and clarity of childhood!

      Delete
  5. I like how Walter Cunningham comes to school once a year. Man, that must be nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When Dill comes back to the Finch household, is it a dream Scout is having or is it real?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is real. Dill stays with them for awhile.

      Delete
    2. When Dill is staying with them is Aunt Alexandra there yet? I forget.. If she is there how did she react?

      Delete
  7. Why is aunt Alexandra coming to stay for awhile?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To make scout more "lady like".

      Delete
    2. Aunt Alexandra is coming to stay for awhile that way she can 'teach' Scout how to become a proper woman.

      Delete
    3. I honestly think that Aunt Alexandra is staying with them because Atticus was worried about Scout losing her head and he thought that Alexandra could teach Scout to be more "lady like" and keep her cool.

      Delete
    4. Aunt Alexandra is staying with them for Scout's benefit. Scout's aunt doesn't like that Scout doesn't have any strong female influence in her life. She doesn't like the way that Scout behaves and wants to change it while she's still young.

      Delete
    5. Aunt Alexandra comes to stay so the kids would have a mother figure. She plans to help Scout become more "lady like".

      Delete
  8. "In Maycomb, if one went for a walk with no definite purpose in mind, it was correct to believe one's mind incapable of definite purpose." I like this quote because it comes at a time when Scout and Jem do not know what Atticus is doing. However they know he is doing something important, they show that with this quote.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Why did Boo Radley come out to put the blanket around Scout if he never comes out for anything?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that Boo only comes out at night (as stated in the book) because of the rumors and assumptions about the kind of man he is. He's showing kindness, maybe in an attempt to "turn a new leaf" in Maycomb.

      Delete
  10. Are we ever able to believe anything Dill says?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Why do the people lynching Tom Robinson give up?

    ReplyDelete
  12. How is Boo getting his Wrigley's Double-mint?

    ReplyDelete
  13. The so called "Cooties" could possibly be a flea or lice. What do you guys think? (Mrs. Gossett)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The description of what Little Chuck did gave the impression that he had fleas (19 of the tall book)

      Delete
  14. Any connection between "Julius Caesar" and "To Kill a Mockingbird"? I believe so I mean Calpurnia was the name of Julius Caesar's wife and is also the name of the servant.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Why is Mr.Radley such a bad shot?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jem says " He'da killed you last night when he first went there"(157). Do you think that Atticus would have been hurt or possibly killed if the kids didn't come check on him?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Why does Dolphus Raymond pretend to be drunk?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I wish there was a book from Tom Robinson's perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Why is the trial so shady? something is definitely up.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I dread how people interpret Boo Radley to have a horrible reputation just by rumors. This really shows the true colors of the world and the people who make them stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Is Dill a foster child? The book talks about how he had a "new father".

    ReplyDelete
  22. Why does Old Mr. Bob Ewell accuse Tom Robinson of raping a girl?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he's covering something else up and is trying to blame it on someone else.

      Delete
  23. Why does Atticus have a light running into Toms jail cell if he was trying to keep people from knowing he was in the jail?

    ReplyDelete
  24. This story reminds of the movie "A Time to Kill" does anyone concur? In relation of the trial.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What does Atticus mean when telling Jem about "gentle breeding?"

    ReplyDelete
  26. The children that were making fun of Jem and Scout for their father's situation blows my mind. Isn't Scout in like 2nd or 3rd grade now? How do those little kids know about all that stuff, because when I was little I was worried about Barbie dolls and beanie babies, not court cases.... #JustSaying

    ReplyDelete
  27. Does the children sitting in the balcony with Reverend Sykes and his people throughout the duration of the trial show a significance?

    ReplyDelete